Easy to Make Japanese Chicken Teriyaki RecipeKatachiware Japanese Style Tableware
This simple and healthy classic Japanese Chicken Teriyaki Recipe for bento is a delight to make, an easy recipe to cook it includes enough ingredients for two servings. Great for preparing a lovely dinner at home or for taking to work or the school place. Cooking for four people? Just double the ingredients and allow a little extra time for cooking the chicken.
This bento recipe is also served with rice and goes down well with a portion of cucumber salad and pickled or pre-cooked vegetables and condiments for taste.
TIP: It’s best to start with marinating your chicken first then move onto cooking your rice and preparing the rest of the meal. The marinating process can take a little time.
Chicken Teriyaki is normally made from whole chicken thigh pieces though when cooking for bento we normally cut the chicken into small chunks which make it faster to cook and easier to pick at with chopsticks.
Chicken Teriyaki Recipe Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces boneless chicken (breast, tenders, thighs, whatever you have)
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl add your chicken, soy sauce, mirin and sugar and mix the ingredients together.
- Set aside to let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes and turn over halfway.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Take the marinated chicken out and pat dry. Set aside the marinade (this will be used as a glazed sauce for chicken later).
- Put the chicken skin side down (if you are not using skinless) in the heated pan and cook until brown, this will take a minute or two. Then flip another side until brown.
- Pour the reserved marinade over the chicken and cover the pan tightly. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Reduce the marinade by removing the cover and increase the heat back to medium-high. Toss the chicken to completely covered with marinade glaze.
Please note that for the Chicken Teriyaki Recipe you can also replace chicken with other meat and even tofu. Just remember to adjust the cooking accordingly. If you liked this recipe you can also cook double the ingredients to freeze in clip lock bags.