This authentic beef teriyaki bento recipe made from scratch comes together by using only 5 ingredients and want take hours to create. With tender pieces of beef seared, glazed wih sweet and savory teriyaki sauce you can whip this up in no time and forget about those pre-made sauces.
The best thing about beef teriyaki bento is its simplicity, providing that you can find the ingredients which should be available at your local Woolworths or Colse stores it's simple to make and preparation is even simpler.
A quick sear of the beef on both sides gives it a little color and the steak will finish cooking while the teriyaki sauce reduces in the same pan.
Beef Teriyaki Bento Ingredients
- 2 beef steaks
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Beef Teriyaki Cooking Instructions
- Firstly combine brown sugar, mirin, soya saunce and sake in a bowl and stir the ingredients to combine. If your steak is lean rub a teaspoon of cooking oil onto each steak.
- Heat a wok over high heat until the bottom of the pan is hot and add the the beef steaks, sear on both sides until browned.
- With the beef still in the pan pour in your teriyaki sauce and let it boil. Flip over the steaks repeatedly until the teriyaki sauce has reduced and each steak is in a thick shiny glaze.
- Let the beef steaks rest for a few minutes and transfer to a cutting board and slice with a sharp knife.
- Pour any remaining sauce over the sliced steaks and garnish with chopped spring onion or sesame seeds.
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancake containing a variety of ingredients. It was thought to have originated from pancakes of Tokyo area and crepe in Kyoto. This frugal food is commonly consisted of cabbage in flour cake. Kansai and Hiroshima is the heartland of this frugal dish. In fact, there are different versions for each regions varying from use of toppings and batter. Sometimes English referred this as “Japanese Pizza”.
Dumplings are cooked balls of dough with different fillings. They may be cooked by boiling, steaming, simmering, frying, or baking. Dumpling wrappers can be found at Asian grocery stores. This recipe is only contains 275 calories but heavy enough for a meal.
This recipe modified from Naomi Kijima’s book Bento Boxes. This recipe will take a little more time to make because f the marinating involved in cooking procedure. It is best to start by marinating the chicken while cooking the rice and fixing everything else while waiting for these two to finished. This recipe is good for single lunchbox (bento box).