Comprehensive List Of Bento Box Types
Traditional bento box types are typically a Japanese lunch-box though today the concept has made its presence felt in every household worldwide. Distinct from the standard lunch box in the sense constituent, a perfect combination of varied textures, tastes and food ingredients.
An average Japanese meal packed into the bento box comprises rice, fish, meat, and pickled vegetables. The Japanese home maker uses every inch of space provided in the box to prepare and pack wholesome and nutritious meals for her family members.
- Chūka bentō (中華弁当) Chinese food often used as a late night snack.
- Kamameshi bentō (釜飯弁当) Bento served in clay pots, sold at Nagano Prefecture train stations.
- Makunouchi bentō (幕の内弁当) Classic bento with rice, umeboshi, a slice of broiled salmon, and a rolled egg.
- Sake bentō (鮭弁当) Bento with a slice of broiled salmon and rice.
- Shidashi bentō (仕出し弁当) Traditional bento served with tempura, rice and pickled vegetables.
- Tori bento (鳥弁当) Chicken pieces cooked in sauce served over rice.
Following are the most common types of bento boxes available in Japan and around the world. Included are a translation of each Bento Box Types from Japanese to English.